January of 2020 is when we first started hearing about COVID-19 in the United States. Now it’s August and things just don’t seem to be any better than they were before. In fact, in certain states we all have to wear a mask when we go into any type of business and most people are still working remotely. So this begs the question, will things ever return back to normal or is this in fact the new normal?
Five Consumer Trends That Will Stay The Same After COVID-19:
The stay-at-home orders changed up a lot for the average consumer. Things like online shopping, cart to car, Amazon shopping, Instacart, etc., all had an increase in popularity as we were all forced to stay in our homes. Now, months later, some stay-at-home orders are still in place and most people are still ordering their grocery needs online. This is a trend that really opened up during the pandemic and will most likely remain the same after the pandemic ends.
- Businesses like Blockbuster Video died out years ago, but more people are turning to streaming apps to meet their entertainment needs. Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus, Amazon Prime, HBO Max, etc., are all examples of streaming services that people have turned more toward during this pandemic. That’s not likely to change once it’s over. Social media platforms and online games have also seen an increase in usage.
- 6 in 10 consumers prefer some sort of social network platform.
- 67% of people who are doing at-home fitness have said that they will continue to do it at home once the pandemic is over.
- Two-thirds of consumers are using a streaming app.
- Half of parents are allowing their kids to play more video games during the pandemic.
- Stay-at-home orders also found us contacting our loved ones in other ways. I think we all took for granted the ability to just go over to our family or friends house or even, to go to work. Having to stay 6 feet apart really allowed us all to take that step back and rethink our connections. Now things like Zoom, FaceTime, Slack, Skype and Microsoft Teams are far more popular than they have ever been.
- Zoom has seen a growth from 10 million to over 200 million.
- After the pandemic is over, only 4 in 10 consumers believe that some departments will need physical space.
- Due to the stay-at-home orders, a lot of people got laid off from their jobs. This has absolutely changed the way people manage their finances.
- Over a third of consumers are doing mobile banking more during the pandemic than they did before the pandemic.
- 1 in 3 consumers looked for better guidance from financial companies to better manage their money
- 4 in 10 consumers are either nusure or say they will never been able to catch up on all their bills
- Content is even more important today than it was before COVID-19. Things like how-to’s, tutorials, virtual tours, webinars, video calls, live videos and explanatory videos have gained in popularity through this pandemic. Consumers are using the internet far more now than they ever have before and they are looking for engaging content.
COVID-19 has taught us so much and it’s helped a lot of people to see where they could be more grateful and take less for granted. It has created a lot of panic, anxiety and stress as well. Sadly, it’s taking precious lives too. But, another thing COVID-19 has created is a better way for people to connect in the most unique ways while still staying six feet apart. Something that doesn’t seem to be going anywhere anytime soon.
For more helpful tips for business owners, online trends, and more follow #CosMarketingAgency. Contact us at 407-334-9378 or email CosMarketingAgency@gmail.com to set up a no-cost consultation today!